Passenger Injury Due To Car Crash: 4 Immediate Steps To Take
When you ride as a passenger, you expect the driver to make sound driving decisions to ensure both of your safety on the road. However, accidents can still happen, especially when the person behind the wheel chooses to be reckless. You might sustain a severe injury that can cause some financial losses. Although a vehicular collision can be scary and confusing, you need to know and understand what you should do to protect your rights.
So, if you suffered a passenger injury due to a car crash, below are the four immediate steps to take from the get-go.
- Receive Medical Attention Immediately
Depending on the impact of the collision, it’s essential to get yourself checked by a doctor immediately for your injury. Even if your injury doesn’t appear right after the accident, you should seek medical care. That way, you get timely treatment to avoid any health complications along the way.
Moreover, allowing yourself to be examined and treated by a medical professional proves helpful if you decide to sue the accountable driver for what happened. Your medical records, including diagnostic test results, prescriptions, and other documentation, can be used to prove your car accident injury.
- Call The Police
It’s also essential to report what happened to the police to ensure an incident is legally recorded. So, if no one has called the law enforcement authorities yet, make sure to contact them right away to come to the accident scene and investigate. Once the investigation is done, they’ll make a police report stating all the parties involved in the collision and their personal information, the probable cause of the accident, and other relevant details.
Apart from the medical records, you can also submit the police report as evidence to show who is at fault for what happened. Consequently, you can have better chances of getting a positive outcome for your case.
- Consult A Car Accident Lawyer
Dealing with the aftermath of a car crash can be daunting for injured passengers. That being said, calling a dedicated car accident lawyer from Joe Stephens Law and other reputable law firms near your vicinity can be an excellent idea. They can advise you of what you should and shouldn’t do after the collision. For instance, they’ll inform you to call the insurance company to report the incident and ask you to collect the information of all the parties involved, including taking some photos of the accident scene.
Also, your legal representative will remind you to be extra cautious about anything you say or do, especially to the police officer in charge of the investigation, who starts to ask incriminating questions. By doing so, you can safeguard your chances of obtaining the compensation you’re entitled to.
- File A Car Accident Claim
Even if you’re only a passenger in a car crash, you’re also eligible to file a claim if you’ve sustained an injury as a result. However, to institute a successful injury claim, it’s essential to determine the parties’ liability involved in the accident. Generally, when filing a case as a passenger in a car involved in a collision, you might sue the following:
- Your Driver’s Insurance Company: When you ride in a car with another person behind the wheel, they have to ensure your safety on the road. Accordingly, if you’ve been injured in a crash caused by your driver’s negligence, you can bring a claim against their insurance company. When their coverage is inadequate to cover your compensation, you have the option to pursue a personal injury lawsuit in court to recover certain damages or losses.
- Other Driver’s Insurance Company: If it’s ascertained that the accident was caused by the other driver’s negligent actions, you may file a claim against their insurance company. The money you receive from them can help you pay for the medical bills you’ve incurred because of your accident injury. But, in case the insurance payouts are insufficient to compensate your losses, you may also institute an injury lawsuit in court to get what you deserve.
- Shared Liability Of Insurance Companies: When the car crash is due to the negligence of each driver involved, you may also opt to file a claim against both insurance companies to obtain compensation for your losses. However, if the injury is serious and requires long-term medical care, you need to work with a lawyer to help you get compensated for the right amount of money to speed up your recovery.
Typically, it’s unfortunate to get injured in a car crash as a passenger. The situation even becomes a worse nightmare if the injury adversely changes your life forever. However, by keeping the steps mentioned above in mind, you’ll find out what it takes to protect your rights and interests. The more you know what you need to do after the incident, the easier you get the compensation you deserve to recover and get back on your feet again.